Skip to main content

Toastmasters International - Why I Stayed

This is just a club. But why did it become a family?



Being a university scholar whilst juggling my work as an English tutor, I convinced myself that I no longer have time to entertain other responsibilities in life. As a scholar, I am expected to be active in my extracurricular to give back to the community that has welcomed me despite my shortcomings. As a working student, I must garner ample savings to bring food to the table, all while securing my academic standing to maintain my scholarship. Given these parameters, I felt trapped in a cycle I could not escape - or so I thought. 

I am grateful to have sponsors who believed in my potential. They opened numerous doors for my growth. One of these doors was Toastmasters International.

To give context, especially to those unfamiliar with this organization, Toastmasters International is an organization dedicated to improving the public speaking skills of different leaders in various fields. Those who registered to be a part of this club must accomplish tasks under the "pathway" of their choice. These tasks range from prepared speeches to impromptu speeches, all depending on the specialty a member chose within their pathway. As simple as this may sound, one might find themselves a part of something bigger and something genuinely fulfilling. 

I entered Toastmasters International with the goal of just participating for the sake of participating. Since I was sponsored into joining the club, I didn't have the utmost desire to be there at first. In the back of my head, I would rather work or study than be in meetings. 

However, as meetings progressed, I found myself genuinely listening to the speeches of my fellow toastmasters. Table Topics, or impromptu speeches, became something I enjoyed rather than something I detest. I felt empowered as my mentors put their faith in me and believed that I am worthy to represent our club in numerous speaking competitions. I knew that I still have a long way to go, but I felt happy knowing that they'll always be there every step of the way.

The question one should as a Toastmaster should not be why they joined the club. After all, the name Toastmasters International already has a positive reputation. Instead, the question one should ask a Toastmaster is this: Why did you stay in Toastmasters International? 

I stayed because I was empowered. I stayed because I was valued. I stayed because I was loved. I may have joined even when I did not want to. But I stayed because I want to. 



An empowered youth dedicated to self-enrichment activities to help realize her potential

Comments